The July 26th, 2016 edition of WWE SmackDown aired live on the USA Network from the First Niagara Center in Buffalo, NY.
– Shane McMahon and Daniel Bryan welcome us to SmackDown to kick off the show, and we get a new intro video. The whole roster is surrounding the ring while Shane and Daniel address the crowd. Shane announces that the first SmackDown-only pay per view will be Backlash. Shane says they’re going to find an opponent for Dean Ambrose at Summerslam. Daniel Bryan says there will be a six-pack challenge #1 contenders match. Bryan and McMahon announce the wrestlers for the challenge: John Cena, Bray Wyatt, Dolph Ziggler, Baron Corbin, and AJ Styles. Bryan says the sixth spot is open to the winner of a battle royal tonight, and that’s up next.
– Battle Royal: Kane eliminates Simon Gotch just moments into the match. He eliminates both members of The Ascension next. Jey Uso is eliminated next by both members of Breezango. Ryder and Crews team up to eliminate Del Rio, and that leaves them in the ring with only Kane and Kalisto. Ryder, Crews and Kalisto all take turns working on Kane, then turn their attention to each other. Kane finally gets up then eliminates Kalisto. Ryder hits the Broski Boot on both Kane and Crews, but then Kane chokeslams him out of the ring. Kane goes to do the same to Crews, but Crews escapes Kane’s hold and eliminates him. Crews is now in the six pack challenge to determine the #1 contender for Dean Ambrose’s World Heavyweight Title. Winner: Apollo Crews
– We get a promo video announcing Shelton Benjamin’s return to SmackDown “coming soon.”
– Becky Lynch def. Natalya: The match opens up with some back and forth action between Natalya and Becky, but eventually Natalya seems to get the upper hand after throwing Becky off the top rope to the mat. Becky mounts a comeback and hits a splash off the top rope for a near-fall. Natalya comes back with a German suplex for a near-fall of her own. Becky gets out of a Sharpshooter attempt and locks Natalya in the Dis-arm-her for the win. After the match, Alexa Bliss comes out and cuts a promo on Becky. Alexa is then interrupted by Naomi who tells her to stop running her mouth. Eva Marie is out next and she stands on the stage and looks at the rest of them.
– The Miz is out next for Miz TV. He says that his guest tonight is himself, and he starts cutting a promo about how great he is. Randy Orton comes out to interrupt and says he wants a match tonight. Orton challenges The Miz, and Miz declines. Orton talks to some trash to Miz and Maryse, and Maryse accepts on The Miz’s behalf. Orton vs. Miz is up next.
– Randy Orton def. The Miz: The Miz rolls to the outside early on to have words with Maryse. Back in the ring, The Miz throws Orton to the outside and Orton sells his shoulder. Miz beats down Orton at ringside, then continues the offense back in the ring. Orton comes back with an RKO out of nowhere, but doesn’t go for the pin. Orton waits for The Miz to start getting up, then gives him a second RKO for the win.
– Heath Slater comes in from the crowd into the ring and beats up an unknown wrestler who was already in the ring. He grabs the mic and complains about not being drafted to either RAW or SmackDown. He says he wants to be in the main event tonight for the #1 contendership. Shane McMahon comes out on the stage to talk to him, but so does Rhyno from behind. Gore! Rhyno takes out Slater, and Shane says Rhyno is the hottest free agent in wrestling.
– Dolph Ziggler def. AJ Styles vs. Apollo Crews vs. Baron Corbin vs. Bray Wyatt vs. John Cena: The winner of this six-man match gets a shot at Dean Ambrose’s World Heavyweight Title at SummerSlam. AJ and Bray team up against Crews for a while, then Bray turns on AJ. Ziggler starts working on Bray until Corbin pulls him to the outside and beats him down. Back in the ring, AJ hits a springboard 450 splash on Bray but Cena breaks up the pin. AJ hits a fireman’s carry into a neckbreaker on Cena, then Crews hits a series of German suplexes on AJ. Corbin starts beating down Crews while everyone else is laid out at ringside. He goes for the Deep Six but Crews gets out and hits a powerbomb for a near-fall. Bray hits the Sister Abigail on Corbin, AJ hits the Pele kick on Bray, then Cena hits the AA on Styles for a 2 count. Cena hits the AA on Crews, then Wyatt, then Corbin. Cena turns around into a Phenomenal Forearm from AJ, and AJ turns around into a superkick from Ziggler. Ziggler covers AJ immediately and scores the pinfall victory.
– After the match, Ambrose comes out to confront Zigger. Daniel Bryan separates them, then Shane McMahon joins to congratulate Ziggler to close out the show.
- Batista Recalls Being “Repeatedly Disrespected” By WWE (Audio)