Only a true whisky lover would know the ecstasy of the ice-cubes clinking inside a glass of cold amber-coloured fluid. For them it’s not just a glass of whisky, it’s an opportunity to whisk away the pain and turn their bad day into a good one, and to go with the flow.
On World Whisky Day today, we have collated some fun facts which you can discuss with your friends over a drink.
1. Frank Sinatra was buried with a bottle of Jack Daniel’s
The renowned entertainer loved Jack Daniel’s so much that he was buried in the grave with a bottle of Old No.7. He justified his love for the bottle by saying, “Alcohol may be man’s worst enemy, but the Bible says love your enemy.”
2. Sir Nikola Tesla drank whisky every day because he thought that it would make him live for 150 years
It is speculated that Nikola Tesla drank Dewar’s Scotch Whiskey daily. The genius called it an ‘elixir of life’.
3. Hard Rock band Val Halen’s bassist had a Jack Daniels whisky bottle guitar
As a connoisseur of Jack Daniel’s whisky, Michael Anthony of the band Van Halen made a guitar which looked like a JD bottle. The guitar made its debut in the video for ‘Panama’, thereon the bassist took the guitar to all his gigs.
4. Do you know you can get a PhD in brewing and distilling whisky?
Very few people in the world are whisky doctors. You can get a whisky degree from Heriot Watt University!
5. Abraham Lincoln defended General Ulysses S. Grant with a very surprising quote
General Ulysses S. Grant drank so much that his critics went and complained to President Abraham Lincoln about Grant’s drinking, to which he replied, “I wish some of you would tell me the brand of whisky that Grant drinks. I would like to send a barrel of it to my other generals.”
6. A beautiful quote by Haruki Murakami aptly describes whisky
“Whisky, like a beautiful woman, demands appreciation. You gaze first, then it’s time to drink.”, he said. We couldn’t agree.
7. In 2005, an unknown businessman bought a rare bottle of Dalmore 62 Single Highland Malt for Rs 26 lakhs
He then booked a hotel room, invited some of his friends and finished the bottle. Now that’s how it’s done, right?
8. Is it Whisky or Whiskey?
Well, both the spellings are correct. Whisky is specific to Scotch Whisky, and Whisky is Irish.
9. Do you know that in 2000 a Wild Turkey whisky warehouse caught fire spilling 17,000 barrels of flaming whisky into the surrounding?
The whiskey reviewer
It killed 228,000 fish in the Kentucky river and disrupted its oxygen supply.
10. Did you know whisky is the official state beverage of Alabama?
Let’s move to Alabama!
11. Did you know Jack Daniel ran away at the age of 6 and learned to make whisky from a Lutheran minister?
No? So, now you do.
AD: Remit Money
Send money online, remit money to India!
Investors’ fear of scams hurting genuine ICOs and STOs
Little girl is dying but her father can’t afford the surgery
Richest Cricketers in the world.
10 Most Impressive & Affordable Penthouses
AD: 90s Kids Only